Páginas

sábado, 2 de julho de 2011

1 Giant Leap

"We have huge propaganda systems. The public relations industry is fundamentally a propaganda system. It’s an enormous industry. Developed first in Britain and the United States, these are two countries that were the most free and democratic and that’s where you need a propaganda system, because there you can’t control people by force anymore, so you have to control their beliefs and attitudes. This is very conscious; the core of democracy is the engineering of consent, and you’re directed by the educational system, by the media to have the aspiration of becoming a millionaire, and then if you don’t quite make it, you didn’t meet your aspiration. But there are other values you know, there’s another value to say “Ok, I won’t be a millionaire but I’ll help the people who really need help.” And you don’t have to go to Ethiopia to find this; you can do it right in the United States.

There’ll be a dozen letters from young people in Canada, the United States and England and so on, saying “I don’t like what’s going on” and “What can I do?”. Interestingly I never get that question from people in poor countries. They don’t ask me what they should do; they tell me what they are doing! It’s only in the wealthy, privileged sectors that people have no idea what to do. Elsewhere they do things. And that’s part of our education and indoctrination: to make you feel that there’s nothing you can do. And it has to really be imposed, strenuously, in the richer and more powerful countries because you can do a lot! In fact, you can do anything!"

Noam Chomksy








.

Sem comentários: